The MLB now faces its toughest battle in the early stages of the 2020 season.
The Miami Marlins have scraped their first two games of the series versus the Baltimore Orioles Monday after seven more players, two coaches and one non-player tested positive for COVID-19, according to ESPN’S Jeff Passan.
The Orioles also plan to leave Miami to avoid a local outbreak.
This puts the believed total to 14 cases for the Marlins, 11 players, two coaches and one other non-player.
The Marlins were in Philadelphia over the weekend where they took a series win and currently stand on the top of the N.L. East with a 2-1 record. After having four more positive test results following the game, Miami was forced to cancel their flight and push it to Monday, where they would be scheduled to arrive hours before the first pitch. This morning, 10 more positive tests came in and halted their schedule.
It’s believed that the outbreak started when Atlanta Braves announcer, Jeff Francouer, tested positive for COVID-19, which trickled its way down to the bullpen, and gave COVID-19 like symptoms to catchers Tyler Flowers and Travis D’Arnaud before their opening night. Marlins pitcher Jose Urena was scratched from Sunday’s matchup due to a positive test result hours before game time.
The league is scrambling to decide if the season will go on after the breaking news. They made an official statement Monday evening, confirming that the Marlins and Orioles will not play on Tuesday. The Marlins are still in Philadelphia, where they will quarantine and continue testing. The league is conducting additional tests and will give updates as they come.
Marlins Ceo Derek Jeter put out a statement in regards to the ongoing situation:
“The health of our players and staff has been and will continue to be our primary focus as we navigate through these uncharted waters. After a successful Spring 2.0, we have now experienced challenges once we went on the road and left Miami. Postponing tonight’s home opener was the correct decision to ensure we take a collective pause and try to properly grasp the totality of this situation. We have conducted another round of testing for our players and staff, and our team will all remain in Philadelphia pending the results of those tests, which we expect later today. We will provide additional information as soon as it becomes available.”